Model AB-1266 Phi Lite
The Greek symbol Phi φ has many contexts in science and math including magnetic flux and phase, so once we finalized all the incremental improvements made to the original AB-1266 speaker driver, it seemed a fitting suffix for this iconic Abyss model.
This is the perfect speaker in a perfect room music lovers seek. Musical information no longer is blurred, harmony can easily be heard as individual singers within the group, instrument separation is crazy good, bass drums have the rolling of their skins, ‘bass within bass' as we call it.
With flat phase and impedance, the directly driven AB-1266 Phi simply sounds like you are standing on the surface of the microphone. Resolution limits are now squarely in the realm of the electronics and the recording.
The new verion AB-1266 Phi (AB-1266φ) refines the sonic virtues of Abyss with greater transparency to the source, further improved low freqency impact and resolution, and vocals as alive as can be. More importantly, the AB-1266 Phi will preserve in history one of the finest headphones ever produced.
Specs by the numbers
- Made in the USA. We machine all aluminum frame components and produce our planer speaker drivers in-house in Western New York. Leather goods such as ear pads, headbands, and carry bags are sewn in California.
- Chassis consists of left/right side frames and adjustable two piece headband. No plastic parts to break, all components machined from solid aluminum for exceptional strength. Integrated resonance control for minimal added coloration.
- High quality finishes, polished metal accents, hand-brushed artistic touches.
- Proprietary planar magnetic transducer design (Patent Pending) utilizing our very thin, very low mass diaphragm. Effortless dynamics and low level detail retrieval in the bass, mids, and highs with spacious sound outside of your head. A front row listening experience with stunning bass impact no other headphone can provide, like the finest loudspeakers in a private room.
- Matched driver pairs.
- Unique custom made high power neodymium magnets with optimized slot pattern.
- Low carbon steel front baffle with integrated resonance control.
- Unique breathable aluminum sides acoustically tuned to our planar diaphragm for completely open sound.
- High quality soft lambskin ear pads provide comfort and finely tuned acoustics. Magnetically adjustable positioning lets you fine tune acoustics and fit for your music, and you.
- Padded leather headband with head movement isolation properly distributes weight for hours of comfotable wear. Looks are deceiving, these headphones are designed not to clamp your head, but rather float atop and loosely touch your ears (no problem with eye glasses). 'Abyss' embroidered logo.
- Balanced 8 FT (2.5 meter) 4 pin XLR cable, and adaptor to single 1/4" (6.3 mm). All cables are high performance custom made by JPS Labs for Abyss. Internal wiring also by JPS Labs.
- Nicely hand-crafted two-tone felt lined wooden box touting the Abyss Headphones logo secures all of the above.
- All main components permanently laser engraved for traceability and collectability.
- Please note that this 'Lite' version is the exact same headphone as in the Deluxe AB-1266 package, and includes a 4 pin XLR cable and 1/4" (6.3 mm) adaptor. Purchase the Deluxe AB-1266 Headphone set as a complete package if you seek the Abyss headphone stand, heavy leather man bag carry case, or dual 3 pin XLR balanced cable set (not sold separately).
Click here to download Literature
Click here to read how professionals feel about Abyss
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz to 28 KHz
- Impedance: 42 ohms
- Phase: Flat
- Sensitivity: 88 dB/mW
- Distortion: Less than 1%; Less than 0.2% through ears most sensitive range
- Weight: 620 grams